Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Heart To Heart: Coming out of your Shell

Since I was a little girl, I have been shy and quiet. Some people take my shyness as being stuck up and rude, but I am so far from that. When I was a little girl, I would go with my dad everywhere. We were inseparable. He would always take me to meet his friends or family members that I haven't met before. I would get so shy, and hide behind him. I would just get really nervous talking to others. As I grew older, I knew I had to somehow come out of my shell and be able to communicate with others. I have learned to overcome my fear of talking to others. I am still shy but just a bit. I'd say I am now more outgoing then before.

I believe it all starts with coming out of you comfortable environment. If you are home often, go out with friends. Try to even go out with others that you aren't best friends with. I know it easier said than done, but do it. If you can't go out with them, bring them to you. The way you can do that is by hosting a small get together. A christmas party, study group, etc., would be perfect. I know what you're thinking "well what if people don't come?" You won't know unless you try.
When talking to people, share about your interests, dislikes, etc. You don't have to go in depth with talking about problems, but just share the basics. Sharing how you were as a child would give that person(s) an idea of who you are. Lastly, just be yourself, don't try to be someone you're not. If they don't like you for you, then thats their problem. You are perfect the way you are.
I know how hard it is coming out of your shell, but I promise life will be much more fun if you just be free. I just let myself be me, and found people who like me for me. It takes time coming out of your shell, but you won't regret it once you do. I hope you enjoy my advice, and hope it helps! Don't let your shyness ruin opportunities.

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're an introvert! I don't think there's anything wrong with being labeled "shy." As long as you're a person of good nature, moral, and ethics then who cares what others think of you.

    Have you taken the Myer-Briggs test? It relates to certain aspects of your personality. Then you can find activities that actually appeal to your personality. Sounds very boxed-in, but it's incredibly helpful. http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up I'm not gonna lie I was pretty quiet and did keep to myself, and people had the same reactions with me (thinking I'm stuck up). I think really I broke the so called shell I had in my freshman year at a new school with new people. I can relate to the fear of talking with others and I did the exact same things you did to break my shell, this is a great blog post, keep it up. - Josh W

    ReplyDelete
  3. I relate to this in a very real way. Growing up, I wasn't necessarily shy, but I didn't talk to a lot of people or make friends very easily. Obviously, it's changed now, but it took a long time for me to get here. I feel you, Crystal!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally get what you're saying. I used to be super shy as a kid, especially when I'd meet my parent's friends. I think I've come a long way from that though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also used to be shy as a kid and my family also said thought it was rude but I didn't care because I didn't like them anyway. Not that I'm older I still don't like them so I don't see them anymore. Now I'm sort of an outgoing person, at least that's I've been told.

    ReplyDelete